Overview: Responserack helps volunteer fire departments with NFIRS and more.
NFIRS Codes Cheat Sheet - NFIRS Coding - NFIRS Examples - FDIDs - POCs
NFIRS 5.0 Element: ‘Heat Source’
Also known as: ‘heatSource’
Definition: The heat source that ignited the ‘Item First Ignited’ to cause the fire.
Need something else? Here is the complete list of all NFIRS modules and subsequent NFIRS transactions, plus a list of all NFIRS elements.
Relational Edit Rules for ‘Heat Source’
NFIRS 5.0 relational edit validation rules are provided to ensure NFIRS data is consistent and correct for the fire/reporting concepts that are being modeled. Relational edits determine relationships between multiple fields / elements. These are the rules for ‘Heat Source’.
Here are the NFIRS codes for the ‘Heat Source’ element, including any “other” values in case none of the preselected choices match:
Common Examples of Heat Source
More commonly used values for Heat Source…
|Heat From Powered Equipment- Other.
|Hot Ember or Ash.
|Heat Source: Other.
|Heat Source: Undetermined.
Groups within ‘Heat Source’
All values for Heat Source
- 11 - Spark, Ember or Flame From Operating Equipment.
- 12 - Radiated, Conducted Heat From Operating Equipment.
- 13 - Electrical Arcing.
- 10 - Heat From Powered Equipment- Other.
Hot or Smoldering Object:
- 41 - Heat, Spark From Friction.
- 42 - Molten, Hot Material.
- 43 - Hot Ember or Ash.
- 40 - Hot or Smoldering Object- Other.
- 51 - Munitions.
- 53 - Blasting Agent, Primer Cord, Black Powder Fuse.
- 54 - Fireworks.
- 55 - Model And Amateur Rockets.
- 56 - Incendiary Device.
- 50 - Explosive, Fireworks- Other.
Other Open Flame or Smoking Materials:
- 61 - Cigarette.
- 62 - Pipe or Cigar.
- 63 - Heat From Undetermined Smoking Material.
- 64 - Match.
- 65 - Lighter: Cigarette, Cigar.
- 66 - Candle.
- 67 - Warning or Road Flare; Fusee.
- 68 - Backfire From Internal Combustion Engine.
- 69 - Flame/torch Used For Lighting.
- 60 - Heat From Other Open Flame or Smoking Materials.
Chemical, Natural Heat Sources:
- 71 - Sunlight.
- 72 - Spontaneous Combustion, Chemical Reaction.
- 73 - Lightning Discharge.
- 74 - Other Static Discharge.
- 70 - Chemical, Natural Heat Source- Other.
Heat Spread From Another Fire:
- 81 - Heat From Direct Flame, Convection Currents.
- 82 - Radiated Heat From Another Fire.
- 83 - Flying Brand, Ember, Spark.
- 84 - Conducted Heat From Another Fire.
- 80 - Heat Spread From Another Fire- Other.
Other Heat Sources:
- 97 - Multiple Heat Sources Including Multiple Ignitions.
- 00 - Heat Source: Other.
- UU - Heat Source: Undetermined.
Transactions containing ‘Heat Source’
A few NFIRS elements are reused accross a number of transactions, but typically the value is captured by one transaction only.
||Coded Field - The coded field relating to an entry in the code table. Most coded fields allow for Plus+ One codes. For these fields the expected length of the coded entry is depicted as (National length OR Plus+ One length). Only fields with this notation in the expected length column allow for Plus+ One definitions. If the user has not provided information, an empty field should be transmitted.
Was this helpful? Please share...
Need more NFIRS help?
Need more help with NFIRS, or not yet found what you are looking for? Please see if these help …
For more information see the NFIRS Cheat Sheet, NFIRS Coding and contact Responserack to learn about our fire department software.