Overview: Responserack helps volunteer fire departments with NFIRS and more.
NFIRS Codes Cheat Sheet - NFIRS Coding - NFIRS Examples - FDIDs - POCs
NFIRS 5.0 Element: ‘Factors Contributing To Ignition’
Definition: The contributing factors that allowed the heat source and combustible material to combine to ignite the fire.
Purpose: Combined with Cause of Ignition and Human Factors Contribution to Ignition, this information explains how and why the fire started. It can also indicate whether a fire is potentially preventable through public education, code enforcement, or other strategies.
Entry: Enter the two-digit codes and descriptions for up to two contributing factors.The primary factor should be entered first. If there were no factors contributing to ignition, check or mark the None box.
Need something else? Here is the complete list of all NFIRS modules and subsequent NFIRS transactions, plus a list of all NFIRS elements.
Here are the NFIRS codes for the ‘Factors Contributing To Ignition’ element, including any “other” values in case none of the preselected choices match:
Common Examples of Factors Contributing To Ignition
More commonly used values for Factors Contributing To Ignition…
|Factors Contributing To Ignition
|Failure To Clean
Groups within ‘Factors Contributing To Ignition’
All values for Factors Contributing To Ignition
Misuse Of Material or Product Group
- 10 - Misuse Of Material or Product - Other
- 11 - Abandoned or Discarded Materials or Products
- 12 - Heat Source Too Close To Combustibles.
- 13 - Cutting, Welding Too Close To Combustible
- 14 - Flammable Liquid or Gas Spilled
- 15 - Improper Fueling Technique
- 16 - Flammable Liquid Used To Kindle Fire
- 17 - Washing Part, Painting With Flammable Liquid
- 18 - Improper Container or Storage Procedure
- 19 - Playing With Heat Source
Mechanical Failure, Malfunction Group
- 20 - Mechanical Failure, Malfunction - Other
- 21 - Automatic Control Failure
- 22 - Manual Control Failure
- 23 - Leak or Break
- 25 - Worn Out
- 26 - Backfire
- 27 - Improper Fuel Used
Electrical Failure, Malfunction Group
- 30 - Electrical Failure, Malfunction - Other
- 31 - Water-caused Short-circuit Arc
- 32 - Short-circuit Arc From Mechanical Damage
- 33 - Short-circuit Arc From Defective, Worn Insulation
- 34 - Unspecified Short-circuit Arc
- 35 - Arc From Faulty Contact, Broken Conductor
- 36 - Arc, Spark From Operating Equipment
- 37 - Fluorescent Light Ballast
Design, Manufacturing, Installation Deficiency Group
- 40 - Design, Manufacture, Installation Deficiency - Other
- 41 - Design Deficiency
- 42 - Construction Deficiency
- 43 - Installation Deficiency
- 44 - Manufacturing Deficiency
Operational Deficiency Group
- 50 - Operational Deficiency - Other
- 51 - Collision, Knock Down, Run Over, Turn Over
- 52 - Accidentally Turned On, Not Turned Off
- 53 - Equipment Unattended
- 54 - Equipment Overloaded
- 55 - Failure To Clean
- 56 - Improper Startup/shutdown Procedure
- 57 - Equipment Not Used For Purpose Intended
- 58 - Equipment Not Operated Properly
Natural Condition Group
- 60 - Natural Condition - Other
- 61 - High Wind
- 62 - Storm
- 63 - High Water Including Floods
- 64 - Earthquake
- 65 - Volcanic Action
- 66 - Animal
Fire Spread or Control Group
- 70 - Fire Spread or Control - Other
- 71 - Exposure Fire
- 72 - Rekindle
- 73 - Outside/open Fire For Debris or Waste Disposal
- 74 - Outside/open Fire For Warming or Cooking
- 75 - Agriculture or Land Management Burns
- 00 - Factors Contributing To Ignition - Other
- NN - None
- UU - Undetermined
Transactions containing ‘Factors Contributing To Ignition’
A few NFIRS elements are reused accross a number of transactions, but typically the value is captured by one transaction only.
||0 - 2
||Coded Field - The coded field relating to an entry in the code table. Most coded fields allow for Plus+ One codes. For these fields the expected length of the coded entry is depicted as (National length OR Plus+ One length). Only fields with this notation in the expected length column allow for Plus+ One definitions. If the user has not provided information, an empty field should be transmitted.
Was this helpful? Please share...
Need more NFIRS help?
Need more help with NFIRS, or not yet found what you are looking for? Please see if these help …
For more information see the NFIRS Cheat Sheet, NFIRS Coding and contact Responserack to learn about our fire department software.