Overview: Responserack helps volunteer fire departments with NFIRS and more.
NFIRS 5.0 - NFIRS Codes Cheat Sheet - Coding - Examples - Elements - Validation
NFIRS 5.0 Element: ‘Actions Taken’
Description: ‘The duties performed at the incident scene by the responding fire department.’
Here are the NFIRS codes for the ‘Actions Taken’ element, including any “other” values in case none of the preselected choices match:
Common Examples of Actions Taken
More commonly used values for Actions Taken…
|Extinguishment by Fire Service Personnel
|Contain Fire - Wildland
|Provide Basic Life Support - BLS
|Cancelled En Route
|Action Taken - Other
Groups within ‘Actions Taken’
All values for Actions Taken
Fire Control or Extinguishment
- 10 - Fire Control or Extinguishment - Other
- 11 - Extinguishment by Fire Service Personnel
- 12 - Salvage & Overhaul
- 13 - Establish Fire Lines - Wildland note: Includes clearing firebreaks using direct, indirect, and burnout tactics as appropriate.
- 14 - Contain Fire - Wildland note: Includes taking suppression action that can reasonably be expected to check the fire spread under prevailing and predicted conditions.
- 15 - Confine Fire - Wildland note: Includes when fire crews or resources stop the forward progress of a fire but have not put in all control lines.
- 16 - Control Fire - Wildland
- 17 - Manage Prescribed Fire - Wildland
Search & Rescue
- 20 - Search & Rescue - Other
- 21 - Search for lost or missing person note: Includes animals.
- 22 - Rescue, Remove From Harm note: Excludes Vehicle Extrication (23).
- 23 - Extricate, Disentangle - Extrication or disentangling of a person. note: Excludes Body Recovery (24).
- 24 - Recover Body - Recover body or body parts.
EMS & Transport
- 30 - Emergency Medical Services - Other
- 31 - Provide First Aid & Check For Injuries note: Medical evaluation of patient.
- 32 - Provide Basic Life Support - BLS
- 33 - Provide Advanced Life Support - ALS
- 34 - Transport Person
- 40 - Hazardous Condition - Other
- 41 - Identify, Analyze Hazardous Materials
- 42 - Hazmat Detection, Monitoring, Sampling & Analysis
- 43 - Hazardous Materials Spill Control & Confinement
- 44 - Hazardous Materials Leak Control & Containment
- 45 - Remove Hazard
- 46 - Decontaminate Persons or Equipment
- 47 - Decontaminate Occupancy or Area
- 48 - Remove Hazardous Materials
Fires, Rescues & Hazardous Conditions
- 50 - Fires, Rescues & Hazardous Conditions - Other
- 51 - Ventilate
- 52 - Forcible Entry
- 53 - Evacuate Area
- 54 - Determine If Materials Are Non-hazardous
- 55 - Establish Safe Area
- 56 - Provide Air Supply
- 57 - Provide Light or Electrical Power
- 58 - Operate Apparatus or Vehicle
Systems & Services
- 60 - Systems And Services - Other
- 61 - Restore Municipal Services
- 62 - Restore Sprinkler or Fire Protection System
- 63 - Restore Fire Alarm System
- 64 - Shut Down System
- 65 - Secure Property
- 66 - Remove Water
- 70 - Assistance - Other
- 71 - Assist Physically Disabled
- 72 - Assist Animal
- 73 - Provide Manpower
- 74 - Provide Apparatus
- 75 - Provide Equipment
- 76 - Provide Water
- 77 - Control Crowd
- 78 - Control Traffic
- 79 - Assess Severe Weather or Natural Disaster Damage
Information, Investigation & Enforcement
- 80 - Information, Investigation & Enforcement - Other
- 81 - Incident Command
- 82 - Notify Other Agencies.
- 83 - Provide Information To Public or Media
- 84 - Refer To Proper Authority
- 85 - Enforce Codes
- 86 - Investigate
- 87 - Investigate Fire Out On Arrival
- 90 - Fill-in, Standby - Other
- 91 - Fill-in or Moveup
- 92 - Standby
- 93 - Cancelled En Route
- 00 - Action Taken - Other
- 931 - Cancelled On Scene
- 932 - Cancelled Before Leaving Station
- UU - Undetermined (Conversion Only)
Transactions containing ‘Actions Taken’
A few NFIRS elements are reused accross a number of transactions, but typically the value is captured by one transaction only.
||1 (mandatory) - 3
||Coded Field - The coded field relating to an entry in the code table. Most coded fields allow for Plus+ One codes. For these fields the expected length of the coded entry is depicted as (National length OR Plus+ One length). Only fields with this notation in the expected length column allow for Plus+ One definitions. If the user has not provided information, an empty field should be transmitted. - Maximum length 3 characters
Need more NFIRS help?
Need more help with NFIRS, or not yet found what you are looking for? Please see if these help …
For more information see the NFIRS Cheat Sheet, NFIRS Coding and contact Responserack to learn about our fire department software.